Wednesday, August 25, 2010

August 2010 Featured Volunteer

Dan Kirkley

Thank you to all the volunteers who help make High Five Events' events a success! From the packet stuffing a few days before, to bodymarking on event morning, to post-event clean-up (and all the many other ways!) -- we could not do it without you.

If you know someone interested in getting started with triathlon, volunteering is a great way to see the "ins-and-outs" of the sport and can often be just the thing to get inspired to try it out for the first time!

Every month we like to highlight a special volunteer. Up this month, one of the most inspiring people on the course: Dan Kirkley!

How many years have you volunteered with High Five Events? This is year #4. My son Matt and I have been finishers since the (Texas Tri) series began.

What is your favorite part of volunteering at High Five Event races? My very favorite part is doing things with my family (my children). I also really enjoy helping people and encouraging them to excel.

Why do you volunteer? I volunteer because it lightens the load for others and because it gives me the opportunity to rub shoulders with athletes and people like Jack, Dan, Michelle, Nick and others who"know the business."

What's the craziest thing you've witnessed while volunteering? The number of athletes who think their bikes are "stolen" before we find them for them in transition. Also, the number of swimmers who've not ever practiced in open water and are unable to complete the swim.

What's your favorite part of the course to work? Transition or swim

Favorite sport besides triathlon? Fishing

What is the earliest you've woken up to volunteer? 3:00 AM to drive from Belton to help with parking.

Favorite volunteer perk? Finishers Banquet. The food, visiting, crazy awards and finisher award. (Matt and I are looking forward to being five year finishers next year).

Best/Worst volunteer t-shirt color? My favorite t-shirt, if I can remember correctly, was the 2008 "Austin" which was a moisture wicking white with the colorful Austin Tri emblem. The sky blue "Rookie" this year was pretty good also. My least favorite are the yellows.

Thanks Dan!

Sign-up to volunteer at the upcoming AVIA Austin Triathlon!